Happy Holidays and welcome to Mercury Retrograde!
If you are seeing charts that look something like the image below there is a simple fix, but first a brief explanation. The problem began with iPhemeris v10.4.0 for iOS. It happens intermittently and ONLY on devices running iOS 10.x Today (Dec. 24), I learned it is caused by a fairly major iOS 10.x bug (Apple’s bug, not mine) The bug affects the way preferences are saved and manifests most obviously in relation to orb preferences for the 4 new aspects 10.4 adds: Decile (36°), Septile (51.4°), TreDecile (108°) and QuinDecile (165°).
When iPhemeris first launches it attempts to update Orb Preferences and add default orbs for the new aspects if they don’t already exist. However, because of the iOS bug this randomly fails and with hundreds of thousands of devices using iPhemeris that is unfortunately fairly often.
After getting reports of it (some quite nasty actually) and a few pictures I guessed what might be going on and attempted a fix in 10.4.1. However because of the iOS bug this didn’t work. Not knowing about the bug at the time, I attempted a second fix with 10.4.2 and which also included a way to get some diagnostic information.
The diagnostic data confirmed that what I though might be happening was in fact what was actually happening. But, because of the iOS bug it too fails to fix the issue.
Ways To Fix
- Wait for iPhemeris 10.4.3. Now that I understand the root cause (the Apple iOS bug) I’ve come up with a work around that should fix it permanently until they address their issue. Look for the update sometime on or shortly after Dec. 27.
- Or, you can simply delete the App and re-install. BUT if you do this, follow the steps below exactly or you WILL lose all charts.
Fix by Deleting App and Re-Installing
1) If you currently use iCloud to store charts.
In this case you can always safely delete iPhemeris from a device and re-install it for free from the App store. You never have to pay for iPhemeris or any iPhemeris In-App purchases more than once. If you are asked to buy it again it is likely because you are either:
- Not logged into the Apple ID you used to purchase it before, or
- You selected iPhemeris Ephemeris, the Ephemeris only version of the of the App 🙂 You want the one with the blue icon not the one with the purple icon.
Follow these steps exactly:
- Goto iPhemeris Settings and confirm that use iCloud is ON. If not see the next section before doing anything.
- Exit the App and delete via a long press on the icon until it jiggles and you see the delete ‘x’. Tap the x.
- Go to the App store, search for iPhemeris and download it. The button should be a download button and not a buy button. If you are seeing a buy button, double check that you are getting the right one or are logged into your account.
- Start the App and return to iPhemeris Settings. All iPhemeris Settings are back to original defaults and you will have to put them back the way you like them and turn Use iCloud On.
- Turn “Use iCloud to Save Charts” to ON and wait a few minutes for your charts to stream back into the device.
- Restore any In-App purchases you made, e.g. midpoints.
And… problem gone!
2) If you don’t use iCloud to save charts, you can temporarily turn it on and then turn it off later. I recommend leaving it on.
Follow these steps exactly:
- Verify that you’re device has internet access via cell or wifi. If you do not, wait until you do before following these steps.
- Goto iPhemeris Settings, scroll down to “Use iCloud to Save Charts” and turn it ON.
- Goto iPhone Settings > iCloud Drive
- Turn iCloud Drive ON.
- Scroll down to the iPhemeris icon and put the switch next to it ON.
- Return to iPhemeris Settings.
- Wait 10 minutes.
- Completely close iPhemeris by double tapping home button and swiping iPhemeris up.
- Re-start iPhemeris.
- Wait another 5 minutes to be sure ALL charts are in iCloud.
- Follow the steps above in the procedure for deleting and re-installing the App if you DO use iCloud.
Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas!