*** 11.8.2 Resolves the Missing Data Problem ***
Version 11.8.2 will restore data for anyone who had the missing data issue and who didn’t recently attempt to “fix” the problem by deleting the App and re-installing. This problem effected almost exclusively people who were not allowing iPhemeris to backup data to iCloud. Everyone should do this because we might not be able to easily fix this issue if it ever happens again.
Some explanation of the issue and why it happened and why you should NOT delete Apps and Re-install unless you are sure your data is in iCloud:
- All versions of iPhemeris have had code in them for 3 or 4 years to migrate the database from the older iCloud Apple Technology to newer CloudKit Apple Technology. We (iPhemeris developers) have to keep up with Apple Technology or we get too far behind Apple and then have a much harder time catching up. Our code was designed to move people’s data to Apple’s modern CloudKit “containers”, but this apparently did NOT happen on the devices of people who did not let iPhemeris use iCloud, even after 3 or 4 years of updates.
- In the version where this issue manifested the old migration code was removed because we foolishly thought everyone’s data would be moved into the new style containers. We are still unclear about why everyone was not converted, but apparently if a device is not using iCloud, Apple’s container technology doesn’t bother to make the conversion?! This directly contradicts the Apple documentation, but suffice it to say we never saw this on any of our test devices… and we have quite a few!
- Data that is not stored in iCloud is stored in what is called the App bundle. The App bundle is the files and the area on the iPhone or iPad that the App uses. This includes all your preferences and the chart database. If you delete the App then the entire bundle gets deleted with everything in it. That is how Apple does it. So, if your data is not in iCloud then it goes poof 💨! And that’s it, your done; bye bye! That is why after one deletes the App and re-installs all the iPhemeris settings get reset to original defaults and all the points you turned off in the various view come back (unless you use the iPhemeris Settings to persist some of those to iCloud).
So the moral of the store is:
- Turn on automatic App updates, but not automatic OS Updates.
- Always update your devices to the latest OS after Apple gets the kinks out. We usually avoid X.0 of the OS and wait for X.1.
- Allow iPhemeris to store your data in iCloud! The chart database does not use much storage and probably amounts to less than 5 or 6 of the many, many photos you probably have up there and which you don’t really need 🤣.
Other Recent Improvements
- Crashing in Solar Return year fixed.
- 1 & 15 second time steps are added for rectification.
- The alphabetic index on the right side of the Chart list has returned.
- A “Clear Selected” button is added to the toolbar below the chart list. It appears only when a chart in the list is selected. Tap it to clear all selected charts.
- Selected charts remain selected until one of the following happens:
- The selected row is tapped again. This un-selects that row and re-numbers and re-orders any other selections.
- Or, the Clear Selection button is tapped. This clears all selected charts anywhere in the list.
- Or, a row in the list is touched for more than a second, a Long Press. A Long Press clears all other selections and make the row long pressed the selection.
- Search Bar Improvements:
- The Search Bar at the top of the Chart list is fixed and will not move when the list is scrolled.
- Cancelling a search in the search bar no longer clears selections.
- It is now possible to search for a name or category using the search bar and to select it and then exit search or Cancel search and scroll or use the index to make a second selection.
- All selections remain selected until you clear the previous selections using one of the above mentioned techniques.